Different states have different requirements for auto insurance coverage. One type of coverage that is optional in certain states, including Texas, is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Having this coverage is a good idea, but you still might need to pursue damages after a crash. A San Antonio, Texas auto accident lawyer from our firm can help you do that.

How Does Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Protect Me?

As its name suggests, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is there to offer an extra layer of protection when you get into an accident involving a driver who has minimal insurance coverage or no insurance coverage. Most of the time, if you get injured in an accident and it is someone else’s fault, their liability coverage would pay your medical expenses. If a driver has no coverage, then there is no policy to draw from and no car insurance company to cut a check.

The uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your policy can cover bodily injury and property damages. The four types of coverage included are:

  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI)
  • Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD)
  • Underinsured motorist bodily injury (UIMBI)
  • Underinsured motorist property damage (UIMPD)

So if the other driver does not have enough coverage, your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can help you and your passengers pay for medical bills and repairs to a damaged vehicle.

Does Texas Require Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Texas suggests carrying uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, but the state does not mandate it. Your car insurer will tell you that you should get:

  • Bodily injury coverage: $30,000 per person, $60,000 per accident
  • Property damage coverage: $25,000 with a $250 deductible

The state of Texas also generally recommends getting PIP, or personal injury protection, coverage that can help you pay medical bills. If you reject these types of coverage and get into a car accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured, you may end up wishing you had opted for them.

What If I Am Seriously Injured in a Crash?

If you were seriously injured in a crash, the insurance coverage you have still might not be enough to reimburse you for your expenses. If you want to pursue additional damages, a compassionate personal injury attorney from our firm may be able to assist you. We can gather evidence, build a convincing case, and help you and your family fight for the compensation that you deserve.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

If the insurance payouts are not going to be enough to cover your expenses and you believe that the actions or negligence of someone else caused your accident, then you may have legal options. Contact Sahadi Legal Group and schedule a free consultation. We can tell you more about pursuing damages and how an experienced personal injury attorney could be of assistance.